The school was inaugurated as a Boys Primary School in November 25, 1952. The school served as a Boys’ Primary for twenty one years after which it was changed to a Boys’ Secondary for another eight years, between 1973 and 1981.
As from 1981, the school became a girls’ secondary school and named Canon Paul Pullicino Girls’ Secondary School after one of the pioneers of education in Malta.
With the introduction of the concepts of middle schools and co-education in state schools, the school was designated as one of those which would be converted to a Middle School. Extensive works were carried out between 2014 and 2015 as the block in College Street was refurbished and the block in Ferris Street was pulled down and re-built. In September 2014, the school welcomed the first Year 7 students while the last Form 5 students from the Rabat Girls Secondary left in 2015.